Remote hybrid: Persons in these roles are expected to spend part of their time on-site in our Seattle offices but may occasionally work remotely. On-site requirements vary based on position and team.
Are you interested in honing your engineering skills while learning about cutting-edge developments in Artificial Intelligence? If so, an internship on the AllenNLP team at AI2 may be the perfect opportunity. The AllenNLP team will be reviewing applications and scheduling interviews for 2023 internships this October. Applications will be reviewed on October 17, and again on Nov 3, if the positions remain vacant. The position will remain open to applications until Nov 3, but we urge you to get your applications in by October 17 to ensure you are considered. Start dates will be between January and July of 2023. We are open to internships that are 3 months or longer.
On the AllenNLP team, you'd be working with talented research engineers and research scientists to build NLP infrastructure to power the next wave of innovation. We have projects on understanding and answering real-world questions, implementing behavioral tests to catch issues in new models, and developing new libraries to help researchers manage and reuse complicated training workflows. As an intern on the AllenNLP team at AI2, you will be paired with a mentor and embedded on a team. Over the course of your time at AI2, you would complete 2-3 substantial projects that would build your resume and leave an impact on AI2.
We have a beautiful office right on Lake Union; catered lunches throughout the week; great pay; smart, friendly and helpful co-workers; and even a couple of kayaks you can take out on sunny days.
What we're looking for:
- Students who are late in their program (juniors, seniors, or masters students) or recently graduated, and have a strong academic record.
- Experience with NLP and AI, whether in a classroom or a previous internship.
- Successful past internships (or full time employment) in a technical role.
In addition to AI2's core mission, we also aim to contribute to humanity through our treatment of each member of the AI2 Team. Some highlights are:
- We are a learning organization - because everything AI2 does is ground-breaking, we are learning every day. Similarly, through weekly AI2 Academy lectures, a wide variety of world-class AI experts as guest speakers, and our commitment to your personal on-going education, AI2 is place where you will have opportunities to continue learning alongside your coworkers.
- We value diversity - We seek to hire, support, and promote people from all genders, ethnicities, and all levels of experience regardless of age. We particularly encourage applications from women, non-binary individuals, people of color, members of the LGBTQA+ community, and people with disabilities of any kind.
- We value inclusion - We understand the value that people's individual experiences and perspectives can bring to an organization, and we are building a culture in which all voices are heard, respected and considered.
- We emphasize a healthy work/life balance - we believe our team members are happiest and most productive when their work/life balance is optimized. While we value powerful research results which drive our mission forward, we also value dinner with family, weekend time, and vacation time. We offer generous paid vacation and sick leave as well as family leave.
- We are collaborative and transparent - we consider ourselves a team, all moving with a common purpose. We are quick to cheer our successes, and even quicker to share and jointly problem solve our failures.
- We are in Seattle - and our office is on the water! We have mountains, we have lakes, we have four seasons, we bike to work, we have a vibrant theater scene, and we have so much else. We even have kayaks for you to paddle right outside our front door. We welcome interest from applicants from outside of the United States.
- We are friendly - chances are you will like every one of the 100+ (and growing) people who work here. We do.
AI2 is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
*For your application, a cover letter is not required, but strongly encouraged.